Where to Go after Dark in Yogyakarta
Yogyakarta's nightlife offers as much entertainment as it does during the day. Be it bars, pubs, lounges, or nightclubs with enormous dance floors full to bursting point. There are plenty of bars and nightclubs located near the Sheraton Mustika Resort and Spa Complex. Hugo’s is popular with local college students and expatriates while long-running nightclubs like Papillon are the place to be seen at the weekend.
Alternatively, watching traditional Javanese performing arts is also one of the best ways to enjoy an evening in Yogyakarta. Purawisata Amusement Park has a wonderful Ramayana dance performance and Sri Sultan’s Palace hosts marathon Shadow Puppet Show until dawn.Read More
- Highlights Of Bali Full-Day Tour
- Bathe & Breakfast with the Elephants
- Whitewater Rafting & Elephant Safari Ride
- Whitewater Rafting
- Downhill Cultural Cycling Tour with Lunch
- Private Bali As You Please Tour
- Devdan Show: Treasure of the Archipelago at Bali Nusa Dua Theatre
- Fast-Track Waterbom Bali Admission
- Best of Bali Highlights Tour with Lunch
- Elephant Safari Park & Optional Elephant Ride
Bars on Malioboro Street
Milioboro is more than just a shopping street; it has many bars that serve cheap beers and good snacks.
An alternative to unwind after a long day exploring and sightseeing, you can sit and enjoy the atmosphere, watching its slow-moving crowd while listening to some mellow tunes.
A groovy bar famous for its deep reds and delicious cocktails, complemented by live Jazz every Tuesday night; Blatz also provides pool tables and computers with internet access for customers.
It’s a good place to chill out with a group of friends.
- Location: Jalan Kaliurang
Only a few steps from Hugo’s, this is the latest addition and one of the hippest clubs in Yogyakarta. Embassy features electronic dance and trance sounds.
It occasionally hosts some famous international DJ's. Clubbers are recommended to arrive early to get their own tables.
Graha Paramitha (formerly Papillon Discotheque)
First opening its doors in 1992, Papillon's success and great reputation guarantees fun in Yogyakarta. Featuring Top resident DJ's of funk and trance, the place is a magnet to over 2,000 partygoers on weekends. It gets lively after midnight and is open until late.
- Address: Jalan Mayor Suryotomo No. 26
This stylish yet funky club in the Sheraton Hotel is very popular and has both live acts and DJ's.
At midnight, the club also offers a special and entertaining ritual performed by the bartenders and waiters that should not be missed.
- Address: Sheraton Mustika Resort and Spa Complex, Jalan Laksda
Marathon Shadow Puppet Show
A marathon shadow puppet show takes place at Sri Sultan’s Palace every second Saturday. This open-air theatre hosts shadow puppet plays from the evening until the next morning.
The audience is free to sit anywhere at all, even backstage to watch the puppeteers at work. Admission is free. Drinks and snacks are served at the surrounding stalls.
- Opening Hours: Every second Saturday of every month, from 20:00 – 05:00
- Location: Sri Sultan’s Palace or the Kraton Complex, city centre